Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sweet Memoir

It's been 12 long years since my father passed away.  We didn't have that typical father-daughter bonding but I have unforgettable moments with him.

As we celebrate Father's Day today, I reminisced the good times with him and the lessons I learned back when he was still alive.

I had a kind of "complicated" childhood. I grew up with my grandparents but my father had been there to visit me as often as he could, bringing a  new dress for me. He'd been there during recognition programs to pin the  ribbons I got as an honor pupil. Many times I cried every time he had to go back home.

When I was in high school, I stayed with my aunt's house and my father had explained it to me why I had to but I was too young to understand the reasons. As often as I could, I'd go home every weekend since it was just a ride away from home. Whenever there's meeting at school (PTA) my father had been there to attend for me and for my other siblings. We've always bothered him whenever we need something even if it was only sanitary napkins that we needed.

He was kind of a disciplinarian when we were still young but when we became teenagers, every time we had done something wrong, he'd wake us up very early in the morning like 4:00 o'clock, to discuss it with us.  Then we usually ended up crying because we felt ashamed of what we had done or we felt remorseful for our wrong doings.

For some silly reasons, I became a rebellious child. I got married at a very young age and got separated at a very young age too. During those hard times of my life as a single parent, my father never neglected me. He'd never quit guiding me although many times I'd given him too many head aches.

There were three things that I learned from him which I can't ever forget . Firstly, "Don't put yourself into a compromising situation." He said that when my life was in a limbo. Too hard to explain here.

Secondly, "Live within your means. Don't get yourself into debt just because you bought something you WANTED. If your money is enough for fish, don't buy chicken." He said that when I got my first salary.

Thirdly, "Education is the path to success". He elaborated  further that there is no place on earth for uneducated people,  something to that effect. He told that  when he encouraged me to go back to school to get a degree. 

Wherever he is now, I know that he is happy because all his 7 children have finished a degree through God's blessings.

When  he died, it was like part of me had died too.

Fernando. That's the name of my father.

Happy Father's Day Pa! I miss you very much!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated so scribble your thoughts about this post. Thank you :)

This blog is protected

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected